Since the post that was supposed to go up on the 24th was late by a day, heres an extra little bonus post so that you’re not missing out! I was expecting this to go up closer to our move but since we’re already started packing and planning it mays as well go up now!
With an impending house move on the horizon, I have been thinking about how I am going to handle it. Moving home is tough and can lead to feeling uprooted and a bit lost. It’s only natural that I am going to want to find some way to make it as stress-free as possible. I guess I am naively hoping that that is going to be doable even though I know a lot of people struggle with it! I have definitely struggled with it a lot in the past but since this is going to be my 11th move in about 8 years, I’m doing everything I can to ensure it runs as smoothly as possible.
I am the kind of person who prefers to plan things. I’m not usually one for being spontaneous, though I am trying as you can see in this post, I still think things always work out for the best when you’ve got a good idea of what you’re doing. I’ve already been thinking about all of the different ways that I can make things simpler, and I am beginning to get a firm set of ideas in mind.
- Packing things on different days.
Rather than just trying to throw everything together, I am going to try and keep areas separate from one another. I have thought about taking every block of time I have to pack different things. Some of the separate categories I have so far managed to come up with include:
- Bathroom things. Obviously, some things are going to have to be left until as late as possible, but those than can be pre-packed will go together.
- Kitchen. I’ll leave myself a mug for tea and a few bits of crockery and cutlery, but I think a lot of things I can manage without during the move.It helps that we will be getting new crockery when we move so what we have now will be going to a charity shop on move day.
- Makeup and accessories. Some essentials will remain, but most can go in a box. I think I’m going to buy one of those see-through pencil cases for what’s left over so that I can grab things easily when I need to instead of rummaging around for god knows how long.
- Clothes and shoes. I am going to attempt to have a clear out at the same time and see if I can donate a few things, though who knows what I will be able to part with.
- Avoid problems before they happen.
I am really paranoid already about something going wrong on moving day and we don’t even know when we’ll be moving! So I’m going to try and be ready for any issues that might crop up. I have already planned to label boxes with letters and write up a sheet like a key, showing what has gone where. I’m hoping this will help me track things down.
I’ve also heard stories about issues with bubble wrap not properly protecting items. I think I will use a natural alternative instead and also give myself some Brownie points for the environmental factor. I also don’t trust packaging tape. It splits way too easily and gets twisted, so I am probably going to use glue guns and glue sticks to hold wrappings together. I think that will give me more control on what I can fold, especially the stuff in a dodgy shape.
It’s not something I have much experience with, but I am hoping it will make a difference and help keep me calm. I have found some YouTube videos and am going to get some practice sessions in before the big day. Fingers crossed! Of course, half my life never goes to plan so who knows if this will, but I will be making a conscious effort!
Do you have any tips I’ve missed out? I’d love to hear them, anything that makes the moving process simpler will make me very happy!